The Truth About Mental Illness

21.10.16

Today I braved the outside world to retrieve the mail from our box. As I rounded the corner, I nearly collided with a lady walking there. I about jumped out of my skin but tried to stay looking calm and collected like I do.
"Oh no!" she said "I didn't mean to scare you!"
I half halfheartedly laughed thinking, No, you're sweet, but I actually have PTSD and jump at every little thing. It's really not you at all. It's me. Instead I said "No, you're fine!" And for a sweet moment there we laughed together.
As she passed on by, I was left in my thoughts of how I wish I could tell her. How I wish I could trust that she would truly understand. How I wish the world truly understood the darkness of living with mental illness. For now, I live with its' hands around my neck. Sometimes, I hate it. And there are moments like now where my cheeks burn with embarrassment. But I must remember that it is a part who I am and will always be. This dark mark (yes, that's a Harry Potter reference) has the potential to be my gift to the world. I can use this part of me to reach out to others who are lonely, so they don't have to be. I can and I will make a difference.
And today it encouraged me to share a smile with a stranger who I would have never met otherwise.

I am grateful for all the little things that make me who I am, struggles, flaws, quirks and all. I am not embarrassed of my scoliosis, why should a mental condition be any different?
So, we press on. And become stronger.


^^Like tonight! I've got a date with my man. Life is looking brighter every single day. 
It truly does get better.
And that's a fact.


P.S. Autumn is my favourite time of the year, so excuse me if I go M.I.A. for a moment. I'm probably jumping in leaves or running through a corn maze. 

Mischief Managed.
_kynia



You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. <3 keep pressing. There's so much stigma about mental illness when it needs to be treated just as much, if not moreso than physical illness. Love you!

    Hannah
    Floraful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hannah! It's by the support of great people like you that we get through this. Love you too! xX

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry that you have to deal with this, but that is some good encouragement! Let me know if you ever need someone to talk to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Mckenzie! Same goes for you, you know that right? My door is always open! xX

      Delete
  3. You have the best attitude ever about this. Also, scoliosis buddies! High five! (Is that weird?) :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is definitely not weird! High five! Thank you Rachel xX you're a gem!

      Delete
  4. I love the way you think seriously. And yes I believe you can and you will make a difference. Mental health is so unbelievably taboo where I grew up and I wish people would be more open to talk about it. If I suffer from the flu it doesn't become my identity so why is it different if I suffer from depression etc.
    You're really strong and you've inspired me so much today.
    Thank you so much for sharing this :)
    xo
    Sauniya | Find Your Bliss ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sauniya! Xx you're always such a sweetheart! Thank you! xX

      Delete
  5. WHat a wonderful and inspirational attitude to take, my girlfriend has PTSD and I'd love to see a post on how you manage it and what helps you !

    lots of love, Marianne xxx

    P.s. Stay Strong <3

    http://myhappybubblexx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Marianne! Xx Shoutout to your sweet girlfriend who's battling this monster... thank you for loving her. It helps us WIN. xX

      Delete
  6. I really love how positive you are! I'm sorry about your PTSD, but I think it's truly inspirational how are you are working to turn it into something good. Just as you say, it's all these little aspects that make us who we are!

    Musings & More

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! you're the best! I always appreciate your feedback :) xX

      Delete