the Good Ol' Days...

8.7.16

Oh, nostalgia. If you know me well, you can imagine my excitement this week with the release of Pokemon Go, which Matthew and I are definitely kicking trash at. We went hiking for hours today trying to catch 'em all...
 
But back in the old days, Pokemon Go was in our heads! Pure imagination. And it was awesome, wasn't it??
All this Pokemon has got me REALLY nostalgic for the 90's. So I'd like to bring them back for a bit today and share some of my favourite, trademark things of my glorious childhood days.

First of all is yes, Pokemon. You guys. I was absolutely obsessed and I still am to this day. The Pokemon Go of my day was called Pokemon Snap.



And it was just like it sounds. You drove in a special Poke-machine while taking pictures of all the Pokemon. And I seriously loved it. I especially loved the part where all the Charmander would squeak-- I mean, roar at you.


This was obviously played on my trusty Nintendo 64. I am so grateful that Matthew is on board with passing it down to our children. It just brings people together.


Next on our tour of the 90's is Heads up, Seven up. 
It was like a teacher's version of quiet, indoor tag. You know you loved it. All of us secretly wanted to be "it" just so we could touch our crush's finger. Eep!


And what about Sprite Remix and Walkmans?
During the summer, I used to go to work with my mom and help with filing her stacks and stacks and stacks of papers. Every morning, we would get donuts for the guys or pick up an Ernie's hot breakfast sandwhich, work for a bit, and then when it was time for our midmorning break, we'd walk to a nearby gas station for a pop. I would always without fail choose Sprite Remix.
It was that good. Some of my most peaceful memories of those summers were filing while listening to "Remedy" by Jason Mraz on my walkman and sipping on a Sprite Remix. Gosh, that makes me sound old.


Did someone say... Blockbuster.
Friday nights will never be the same without these...




And for the finale, can anyone say uh... LISA FRANK.




How can anyone NOT be obsessed with that. I had all the hippest Lisa Frank folders and notebooks and pencils and a backpack and stencils and even a calculator for the school year. So, that's why I was so popular. 
And guess who just announced that their adult colouring book will be out next month? That's right. Lisa Frank. Check it out here. You're welcome.

Reliving old experiences, cringing at old haircuts, and laughing over old memories can be such a positive reminder of what made you, well, YOU. Take nostalgia a step further and it can be a great tool in motivating us toward greater things in the future, as it reminds of who we are and where we come from. But like Andy from the Office says...



We must be wary never to get sucked in the trap of the “good old days”-- those days are NOW! Doors close for a reason, life goes on, but that doesn't mean that your "good old days" have ended. Go out there today and make a new one!


Go make history, my friends.



Mischief Managed.
_kynia

You Might Also Like

22 comments

  1. Hahaha there are so many things I want to say about this post!
    1. I think the best part of Pokemon Go is that it makes people get out and walk for hours and hours!
    2. I love all the things!!!! Remembering the past rocks. Those were good times. And I can relate to all of these items.
    3. I love thinking about passing on all of the things of our past and giving them to our children. They're gonna think we're crazy....
    4. That is one of my favorite quotes. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Totally! we've probably walked/hiked about 16 miles each day since it came out. love it!
      2. I love all your comments <3 You are seriously the bomb.
      3. They probably already think I'm crazy. But they have no idea >:)
      4. seriously! I love the Office. xX

      Delete
  2. Unbelieveble how Pokémon is still very populair these days! I remember when I was younger that I used to watch Pokémon all the time! Those were the better days haha.

    Sugarcandycandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!! I think they made Pokemon Go specifically for us Old Timers... haha xX

      Delete
  3. I love the post! Being from another country, as you can imagine there are a few differences but I remember a lot of these! We don't get the new Pokemon game for a while yet and my boyfriend is eagerly awaiting it!

    Musings & More

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand-- these things are definitely American ;) I am so sorry you have to wait... the anticipation is the worst part. But it really is worth it xX

      Delete
  4. Haha, so many good old memories! Love this post :) x

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS IS SUCH A FUN POST! BWAHAHAHAHA! I never got to play Pokemon! But I do miss movie rentals! :) Well, not so much, really -- we got free streaming and downloading here on the internet! HAHAHA! Keep posting more! :)

    www.kynagem.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The internet has just opened up so many more doors, so I'm okay with it ;) I do miss drive in movie theatres though. have you ever been to one of those? xX thank you my dear!

      Delete
  6. There was still a blockbuster open near where my husband and I lived up until 2014, I think, and then it closed. It held on to the end, and we loved going there to rent DVDs! haha. And I definitely had Lisa Frank stationery supplies back in the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow-2014??! It really did hold on strong.. That's awesome. Such a revolutionary idea too, when you think about it. ;)

      Delete
  7. What a brilliant post of nostalgia ! I was so excited for the release of pokemon go and heads down thumbs up brings back so many memories I loved that game as a kid :)

    lots of love, Marianne xxx

    http://myhappybubblexx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It almost makes me miss those carefree primary school days.. but we have lots of exciting adult things as well so, I'm still content. Thanks for reading love xX

      Delete
  8. Those cassette players are definitely one of the most nostalgic things I can think of :D It's just hilarious to think about the way we used those cassettes now, I remember always having to roll the tape with a pen because it just wouldn't work otherwise haha

    http://allure-square.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! oh my goodness. I had forgotten <3 haha those were great days... look how far we've come ;) xX

      Delete
  9. I love this so much, it makes me miss being younger and in school and not having to worry about money or any kind of crap like that. Thank you for sharing! You seem so lovely and have a great blog too, let me know if you would like to follow each other and stay in touch! x

    adelelydia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, yes, YES. those were carefree days, weren't they? thank you so much Adele! following your blog now xX

      Delete
  10. Loved this post - heads down, thumbs up was the best game at primary school Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. right??! haha great memories :) thanks for reading Beth! xX

      Delete
  11. Hah Pokemon Go is amazing.

    Wanna follow each other on GFC? Visit me: www.fantailflo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you bet! Going there now! xX

      Delete