Break the Silence

27.6.16

"Not All Wounds are Visible"

June 27th –today—is National PTSD Awareness day. Mental illness is so real, raw, and utterly exhausting. It’s time to get it out in the open.
PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) is a mental illness associated with anxiety. Basically, a person is “stuck” in a perpetual high-adrenaline/ survival mode. It is triggered by a traumatic event, or a series of traumatic events in the case of complex PTSD (cPTSD), but it also goes by another name. Hell. It is a mixture of intense anxiety and overwhelming depression. It is feeling endlessly worried about literally every little thing, constantly feeling on the verge of tipping over. It is feeling like something is always creeping around the corner. It is sleepless nights tossing and turning from nightmares, only you can’t escape them by waking up. It is painful, slow healing with a rollercoaster of uncontrollable emotions. Some days I can carry it just fine. But not always. For now, I live with its’ hands around my neck.
It may be a part of my life, but it certainly does not define me.
There is always hope. There is therapy and medication and daily self affirmations of worth. There are loving people in the corner cheering me on. I have a patient husband, who loves me unconditionally, despite my intense inconsolable outbursts.
And in those lonely nights when I cry out in the darkness, I always find my Heavenly Father there and waiting. His love washes over me, and I am reassured that in the strength of His Son, I can do all things. “Io posso ogni cosa, in Colui che mi fortifica.” I know He is with me every step of the way, and at times, I have felt His loving arms carry me. He has also sent many earthly angels to carry me through these dark nights as well, but one in particular has stood fiercely by me through it all: my loving husband Matthew. What a man.
And step by step, I am getting through. There is hope. There is healing.

It does not matter the speed in which we travel, the direction is what ultimately defines who we are. And I have all the tools I need to heal and break free beyond the limits of my mental confinement.
And so do you.
Whether you struggle with depression, anxiety or even cPTSD like me, you are not alone. You have resources, you have support, and you have friends. Most importantly, you have a loving Saviour Jesus Christ who is with you every single step of the way. Please, please, please do not give up hope. Do not stop fighting. And do not give up yourself. Because you, my friend, deserve every happiness. You are worth fighting for.

Stay strong.


Mischief Managed.
_kynia






You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. i love you! I think you are so strong!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post Kynia! I totally agree there is always hope for those suffering from a mental illness. It is real, you are not alone, and there are people who can help.

    ♥ Mae
    maepolzine.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mae <3 You're an inspiration to me!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful post. I really wish you all the best, you are a really strong and inspiring person :)

    http://allure-square.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anastasia! You are always such a sweetheart xX

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful post, I admire your strength and your words are very inspiring. It is true, things really do get better with time and sometimes we a change of people as those who surround us have such a big impact on our lives. It is important to keep in mind that none of us are alone and that things can change if we go and seek help and thus try to change them. The world has so much to offer. xx

    113-things-to-say.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "the world has so much to offer"--chills. Thank you, Mira; you're so inspiring!

      Delete
  5. Hi Kynia!! :) you are very strong and you are definitely not alone :) I'm keeping you in my prayers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kyna! so happy to have found you my dear! xX

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry that you have to experience that, but thanks for sharing such a strong and beautiful post with us! And that talk is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favourites. But does Holland ever go wrong? ;) Thanks McKenzie! You're the best!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for raising awareness about Mental Health. It seems to be so overlooked...so many people are suffering in silence from it. You are so strong and courageous <3

    Hannah
    Floraful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear Hannah! You are too kind to me. xx

      Delete