Making Magic

27.5.16

Today I want to introduce you to a man named Donovan, who I met for literally 20 minutes on my recent vacation to Orlando. Here’s the story…

So, we woke up Wednesday morning ready for our last day at Universal’s Islands of Adventure. We were staying in the lovely Portofino resort (complete with a water taxi) which was really just a great time… until that evening around 5.30 pm. After spending the day in the park, we came back in time to gather up our stuff and check out. Our check-out was 5 am the next morning… or so we thought.
When we got back to our room, the door wouldn’t open. So racing down to the front desk, we discovered the clerk earlier had given us the wrong check-out time. It had really been 11 am that morning, while we were blissfully sipping butterbeer at the Three Broomsticks.
I panicked.
Thankfully, this hostess was very kind and gracious. She waived the late fee and gave us an extra hour to check out. We gathered our things in a super-hurry and called an UBER to take us to our room at Disneyworld.
So, keep in mind that we are tired, stressed and a bit sunburned at this point.
And it was raining.
And when I say raining, I mean POURING. Like buckets and buckets of water.



So when we arrived at the front desk of Disney’s Pop Century resort, we were more than ready to settle in for the night.
And that is when the magic happened.
Our check-in clerk was named—you guessed it—Donovan. After a bit of small talk about being on our honeymoon, Donovan took action. Not only did he present us with discontinued, can’t find them anywhere “happily ever after” buttons—he worked a miracle. 


I was tending the luggage nearby when my husband called me over. Walking over, I heard Donovan say to someone on the desk phone, “I’m just trying to make some magic here.”
And then my jaw fell open.
He was able to upgrade us to my favourite resort of ALL TIME—Disney’s Art of Animation resort. I fell in love with it when I lived in Orlando, and my favourite part? The Little Mermaid themed section.






[[these are just a few of my favourite sketches on the lobby walls... aren't they amazing??]]

Now Donovan didn’t know any of this. He didn’t know that I loved that particular resort. He didn’t know about the stressful day we’d had. He didn’t know that I’m the biggest Disney nerd in all of history and that I wish every day that I could be a real life mermaid. And he certainly didn’t know how significant the Little Mermaid is in my life. (perhaps a post for another day…)
And so when he landed us a premium honeymoon suite in the Little Mermaid section, I started to cry.
I think it scared him a little bit.
After shaking his hand fiercely and saying a million “thank you’s”, we were taken by a cast member to our new resort. And after checking in there, and trekking a quarter mile in the rain, we arrived in our new room, soaked, exhausted, but so, so JUBILANT.
And my jaw dropped again.
And I also may have cried a bit.
Okay, I definitely cried. A lot.


THIS WAS THE BATHTUB. ARIEL'S TREASURE TROVE RIGHT IN THE SHOWER. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT??!



And our lovely bed... which was sadly not a waterbed, but I guess I understand.



The pearl lit up and on the headboard there were even the little cute seahorses that I love! Eep!

And, of course, our vacation was full of magical moments after that. All thanks to Donovan. Donovan, I’m sure what you did was nothing special to you. I’m sure you’ve done it a million times. But for me, it was truly magical. And I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
I’m also sorry I cried.
Well, not really.
Thank you for working some magic.
And thank you Disney for helping me see it all around me. 
And of course, thank you Matthew, for helping me discover it in myself.

Since that day, Donovan’s words “I’m just trying to make some magic here” have stayed with me. As well as the kindness of the Portofino hostess who waived the late fee for us. Or a really nice waiter who brought me a refill just in the nick of time. The world is full of genuinely good people who just make my heart swell with gratitude. I’m finding myself lately searching for opportunities to be more open and selfless like them. So I can help make a little magic for someone else.

So there you have it, friends. Let’s make some magic today.



Mischief Managed.
_kynia


P.S. Look! My Prince! 

P.P.S. Whoops, there I am...


P.P.P.S. The Lion King section even had an Elephant Graveyard, that was secretly a playground! Disney, I see what you did there.





You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. Oh my gosh, I love that so much. I love when people are just genuinely awesome and thoughtful and go out of their way (or not out of their way) to make somebody else have a better day! It's a good reminder to be that kind of person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They keep the sunshine in the world, don't they? :) and so do you! thanks for reading xX

      Delete
  2. You have the sweetest man and you are so lucky to have someone like him! I love the Ariel themed-room, it's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am the luckiest, Hannah. thanks for reading xX I always appreciate your feedback xX

      Delete
  3. this is so amazing!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Beth! You're always such a sweetheart! xX

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, what a fantastic gesture - so kind and so fitting with Disney's purpose of 'making dreams come true'! I'm so glad your Honeymoon took such an unexpected and wonderful turn :)

    aglassofice.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Gabrielle! Congrats on your blogs' success lately-- you deserve it! xX

      Delete
  5. Awww how lovely! This is the sweetest post and seeing those sketches up close must be amazing, how wonderful! Ariel is definitely one of my favourite princesses! Wishing you so much magic for the week ahead :D xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara | (lets follow each other on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Elizabeth! wishing you and sweet Oscar the best of summer days xX

      Delete
  6. I'm glad that everything worked out well for you! It's just the best feeling when you meets such understanding and awesome people :)

    http://allure-square.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me want to try harder to be one of those golden people! :) speaking of golden though-- loving your blog lately! Aesop's face oil looks sooo amazing! always appreciate the feedback xX

      Delete
  7. Awww, what an incredible experience, girlie!
    Btw, I don't believe in coincidences, those things were just meant to happen. So so great when we cross paths with lovely people like that <3 <3 <3
    xox Nadia
    www.mielandmint.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nadia! It was definitely destiny <3 xX

      Delete