"A Grateful Heart is a Beginning of Greatness"

10.12.15

So, the other weekend-- I've no idea why-- I was reading the story of the ten lepers in the Bible. For those of you that aren't familiar with that parable, click this link to watch this video  (be aware it is an animated children's version). And for those of you kindred spirits that prefer reading, you can find this in Luke 17:11-19, or here.
In short, Jesus on His travels passed by 10 lepers, who cried to Him for help and He healed them. As they turned on their way, only one turned back to thank Jesus for what He had done.
As I was reading and feeling ever more resolved to be like that one grateful leper, I passed over this phrase:
"Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine?"
I stopped. I got chills.
And it took me a moment to figure out why.
How many times do I lift up my voice and say: "Jesus, Master, have mercy on me!"
and He, in His infinite patience, says "Kynia, everything will be okay, this is what you must do."
and how many days do I fall down on my face at His feet, giving Him thanks? 
like, one day of the year? the holiday in which I give thanks by stuffing my face full of pie? seriously?
It hit me: What if the lepers don't just represent people, but what if they represent DAYS. 
How many days out of ten do I give thanks to Him for my blessings? 
Not enough.
He has blessed me with a job, a house, a car, a body, a breath. How many days do I say thank you for that?
Not enough.
He has placed choice people in my path like my family, and all the people I've chosen to be part of my family. He has placed instruments by which to know His truth, and angels, seen and unseen, who have helped me through it all. How many days do I thank Him for them, or how many days do I thank them in person?
Not enough.

And this, is unacceptable.
So, here is my resolve to change that. 
I have started a gratitude journal. 
And it's super effective.
Every day I write (in italian) what I am grateful for that day. Sometimes, the words pour out from my pen and don't stop for a few moments. Sometimes, it is simply just my gratitude for the day in general.
It has been a great tool in helping me focus on the things that I have, instead of simply what I don't have. Remember, every day may not be good, but there is something good in every single day.
I've also invested in a pack of thank you notes, which will definitely not last long.

So, friends, hold me to it! This is my determination to be more grateful. To be more like that one leper EACH and EVERY day of my existence. So, at the Last Day when I meet Him, He will NOT say, "There are not found they that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger." I'll be standing there, right along side that one Leper. Well, he's not a leper anymore, but you get the idea. We'll be there. 
Will you be there standing with us?

Food for thought.
Pun intended because, you know, thanksgiving.

Mischief Managed.
_kynia

You Might Also Like

0 comments