Week 37, April 9, 2014

16.4.14



Here are my top 5 things that make Italy different from ‘Merica

1.  Food. The bread, cheese and pasta here are so different.  They are all so fresh.  I don’t know how I am going to be able to cook when I get home. ‘Merica’s ingredient will be so different.

2.  Cars.  All of the cars here are sticks.  No automatics at all.  And, all Italians are really good drivers.  I have only seen 2 accidents the whole time I have been here.  They are also really good parallel parkers.  It’s impressive to watch!

3.  Fashion.  People here are more fashionable.  You rarely see people walking around in sweats.  Everyone wears a scarf even the men and little babies.  They believe that if the wind blows on the back of your neck you will get sick.  So if it’s the least bit cold, everyone is wearing scarves.

4.  Drugs.  There are a lot of drugs here.  I am not sure if they are legal here or not, but the smell is everywhere.  We run through the streets at 7am and we can already smell weed in the air.  It is a normal thing.

5.  Lunch break.  Everyday everything closes down for 3 hours (from noon to 3pm).  Everyone takes a lunch break.  Every shop is closed for these 3 hours; sometimes the grocery store will be open, but only sometimes.  Once noon time comes around everyone knows its lunchtime.  This time is considered sacred family time.  You don’t call, visit or interrupt people during this time.  There isn’t really an agenda in Italian life.  The family is their top priority.  Culturally that is how they are.  The most important thing is family, and everything else is really chill.  They have their priorities in the right place.

Here are the top 4 things that I miss about ‘Merica

1.  Carpet.  No one here has carpet.  Our house is all laminate and tile.  Some of the homes we have been in have wood, but I have not seen any carpet for 6 months.

2.  Dryers.  Hand drying your clothes sucks.  I just want soft clothes again!

3.  Panda Express/Cost Vida.  Italy has a lot of great food, but no one serves Mexican or Chinese.  I kind of miss it.

4.  Normal toilets.  The toilets here have less water so you can hear people going…if you know what I mean.  I can’t wait to come home and be able to use a toilet that is more or less silent.  That will be nice.

Now for mission related items:

We have two baptisms tomorrow, April 10th.  The 11 year old boy we have been teaching and the 19 year old woman that we have been teaching as well.  It has been a crazy week of sorting everything out and planning everything, but its happening. SO excited. :)

General Conference was great.  Our 19 year old investigator that is getting baptized tomorrow was sitting with me during President Monson’s talk in the Sunday Morning session.  After she turned to me and said, “Sorella, that man is called of God. When he speaks to you, you feel it touch right through to your heart.” 

Today’s selfie is brought to you by... pink eye. It’s been a great week :) I am so grateful for eye drops! They are like... miracle drops! Pink eye actually is really common. In fact, eye infections are so common, that they give us the antibiotics without a prescription; we just have to talk to the pharmacist first :) hurray for Italia saving us money!
The story that Holland told about the sister having potato thrown at her, was of his granddaughter, Sorella McCann, who is in my mission. And getting food thrown at you is a normal thing, unfortunately. Sadly. 

My companion and I were on quarantine for Saturday because of our pink eye.  Here is a pic of our little dinner we made.

Here are our new planners for this transfer! They are courtesy of the movie Anastatia.
We saw this jeep in front of us.  It says in Italian 'if you all can read this, I need help!'  Remember those Jeeps in Moab that we saw that had that same kind of bumper sticker?
vi voglio bene. cosi TANTO.

Mischief Managed
_Sorella Kynia

You Might Also Like

0 comments