"It's not easy being green..."

11.9.13



My new companion is Sorella Reichert. She is 19 years old, never been away from home. Her boyfriend is in the same mission. Crazy, right?

Ever since arriving in Vercelli, we’ve averaged four lessons a day, including my first day here. We are teaching amazing people. We are teaching people, all who are amazing and all with their own struggles and trials, but all who are finding the joy that the gospel brings.

I am being blessed as a missionary. I am being blessed with people are prepared to receive this message. Yes, I’ve had many rejections already. But the positives far outweigh the negatives. 

Now to talk about the negatives, there was a 3 emergency letter day. I was so frustrated with the language, I still am, but va bene. It is SO hard to be in a room full of people who you can’t talk to no matter how much you want to. It is SO hard to be in a meeting with the ward council and fellow missionaries and still have no idea what’s being said. It is SO hard to bear your testimony in a sacrament meeting in front of people who are probably judging your Italian. But despite how hard this language is, or how frustrated I am when my companion leaves me in the spesa (grocery) store, or how terrified I am when I’m biking through a roundabout, no matter all these negative things, I am pressing on. and I’m finding that the more I trust in God and His plan for me, the more constantly I feel His love. and that’s what keeps me going. 

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT VERCELLI.

I think Vercelli is the Italiano word for fairytale, because that’s what it is here. every street is classic old style Italia, the cobblestone roads are hundreds of years old, every strada has bellissimo trees lining it... I just can’t even explain how it is here. It’s absolutely beautiful. Vercelli is a small town, we can bike across it in about 3 or 6 minutes. And it’s a small community.  Everyone knows everyone and it feels like a big family. 

We live on the 9th floor of an apartment building, so no bugs, but our elevator is sketchy. I didn’t send a picture on purpose. ;) Don’t worry mom, tutto ben.

But we also live on the top of 2 gelaterrias (ice cream stores), if that tells you anything about Vercelli. I love it here. And I love the people here also. Hopefully these pictures will help you get a feel for it... Most of the pictures are the view I wake up to every morning.










By the way, I had an interesting lunch. Tortilla, shredded carrots, beets, mozzarella, microwaved for thirty sec. lettuce, Ranch, rolled up, eat, delicious. Just try it. That’s all I’m gonna say.

Also, guess what, I got to sub in primary this week. There’s a total of 11 children, and two leaders. And they taught them the song a child’s prayer, in Italiano of course. And I loved it, Even though I couldn’t even talk to the children. It was beautiful. 

I will close with a list of what I’ve learned about Italia in the week I have been here:

1.  Their t-shirts are all in English
2.  They do the double kiss thing when they meet you and whenever they see you
3.  They have peanut butter. But its literally crushed up peanuts. I like it
4.  They talk with their hands
5.  Italia smells like cigarette smoke and urine. And I love it.
6.  The ward in Vercelli is the best
7.  Trains and bikes are their main form of commuting
8.  Everything shuts down in the middle of the day for lunch. All the shops close.
9.  They have “take your breath away” beautiful children, almost as cute as oaks and havyn, but darker colored.
10.  Everyone is always outside, just chillin.
11.  Don’t feed the pigeons.
12.  No brown sugar here. Their equivalent tastes and looks like sand. 
13.  They do have McDonalds but its 3 times as expensive
14.  They have nutella. And nutella gelato.
15.  Everyone loves everyone. la festa!.....except when you’re in the road crossing and they’re in a hurry
16.  By the way good luck crossing with no road signs or anything
17.  Instead of saying jinx, they hit their nose and ankle.
18.  If an Italiana hands you a plate with pasta that looks like nothings on it, eat it. It’s gonna be so freakin’ good.
19.  They don’t refrigerate their milk, ever.
20.  Bidets are a necessity, and public tp is dispensed like kleenex.
21.  Mineral water instead of normal water.
22.  The spiders here are literally as big as my face.
23.  Buo means I don’t know. Buo.
24.  The Americans have it wrong; icing goes INSIDE of the cake. Genius!
25.  They don’t believe in dryers….or A/C.  And our apartment doesn’t have either of those.
Anyways, there’s just a FEW things I’ve learned. 
This is so incredibly hard. it’s so so very hard. But at the same time, it’s so rewarding. And I can’t wait to bring you back here someday and show you what I’ve been through so far. I may or may not be counting down the days.... but enjoying every single one, at least a little bit.
ti voglio TANTISSIMO bene.

Mischief managed
_Sorella Kynia

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. This a fantastic letter. I especially love the list of things about Italia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you. I have been reading your blog when your mom posts. Hang in there, someone is watching over you.

    ReplyDelete