“There’s nothing wrong with being scared, as long as you don’t let it change who you are.”

5.7.13

Hello, friends! It’s been what seems like an ETERNITY. Blogger of the year award, right here...

There have been some monumental changes in my life, and as such, I have been BUSSSS-AAYYYY.

For starters….

I have been called to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I will be serving in the Italy, Milan mission, and I report July 24th, 2013 to the Provo Missionary Training Center, where I will be for six weeks. I will be learning how to teach in the Italian language. By early September, I will arrive in beautiful Italy, where I will be until the end of January 2015.
Even though it’s been about four months since I received this call, I still can’t even begin to describe how I feel. I feel overwhelmed with blessings, love, support, excitement, and nervousness. Seriously. I am SO excited to share my knowledge of the Gospel with the Italian people.
Now, I know it’s not all going to be fun and games. I know that the mission will stretch my abilities and I will experience some “growing pains”, so to speak. I will experience some of the highest highs and lowest lows of my lifetime.

Good thing I’m a fan of rollercoasters.

Already, it’s been a struggle to start to adjust myself to “missionary guidelines”.
For those of you who may not be aware, LDS missionaries have a strict list of “dos and don’t’s”, which are all for our benefit and safety. Among these, missionaries are supposed to wake up by 6.30 at the latest every morning. Missionaries are not allowed to go swimming or drink caffeinated beverages. Missionaries are also not allowed to listen to most types of music, watch TV or movies, talk on the phone to friends or family members, or use the Internet. Missionaries are allowed one “personal” day of the week to do household chores, laundry, and 30 minutes to write their families via email or snail mail. Missionaries are not allowed personal cell phones, ipods, shorts, radios, books, computers, board games, etc,etc. I think you get the idea.
I assure you that even though these rules seem excessive, they are all in place for the missionary’s benefit and safety.
With all these rules, it is intriguing to certain people why someone would elect to serve an LDS mission.
For example, a few weeks ago, a coworker of mine who is not Mormon, asked me quite frankly:
“Kynia. You’re 21 years old. You’re right in the middle of school at UVU. You’re giving up swimming, music, Dr. Pepper, and your time to volunteer to serve a mission. Why would you do that?”
And I responded quite frankly, “It must be true, right?”
And we went on to have a nice discussion about my Mormon church.
But really…
I mean, if 18 and 19 year old men and women—essentially still teenagers—in the prime of their life, are willing to make all these sacrifices for something that they don’t even get “paid” for, then the cause we’re supporting must be worth something, right? I personally am willing to give up Linkin Park, Dr. Pepper, sleeping in, swimming, my language, music, BOOKS, Harry Potter, and even my first name.[missionaries aren’t allowed to call others by or be called themselves by their first name. so for the next 18 months of my life I will be known as Sister Carter]
…basically everything that makes me, well, ME. I’m willing to give all these things up for 18 months because I know that this church is true. And there are people everywhere around me that don’t know that. So how can I sit here without sharing the good news that I have?
Now, don’t get me wrong, giving up these things will be HARD. But, I know I can do it. Because as we are obedient to the Lord, He blesses us. We don’t have to be “perfect”. As we seek after righteousness and strive to make good choices, He will bless us.

Because He loves us.

It’s as simple as that.

I know that I have a Father in Heaven who knows me individually and loves me uncomprehendingly.
He loves me enough to send His Son, Jesus Christ to prepare a way for me to return to Him. He loves me so much that He restored His church and gave me a living prophet, Thomas S. Monson, to guide me. He loves me so much that He gave me the Book of Mormon, whose true words testify of Christ. He loves me so much that He gave me the Holy Ghost to comfort me, warn me, and give me divine revelation. He loves me so much that He created a beautiful and perfect plan for my absolute happiness and progression. 
And He loves me so much that He gave me this opportunity to share these things with the people of Italy, so that they can be happy too. And I love Him, so I’m taking that opportunity.

And Because I know of His love for me, I know it for others too. 
You-- yes the beautiful person reading these words-- you, too, are loved by a Father in Heaven, who knows your name and loves you unconditionally
You are beautiful. 
You are treasured. 
You are His.

It’s okay to be scared of new things that come your way. It’s even okay to be terrified of the hard things that weigh your shoulders down. And I promise you that even though you may feel like it, you are NEVER alone.
I also promise you that with His help, you can bear ALL things. He is ALWAYS there for you, and He will NEVER desert you.
And nor will I.

Chin up, friends. The world is blessed to have you.
Hurrah for Israel!

Mischief Managed.

_Kynia



You Might Also Like

0 comments