Ciao, Bella!

24.7.13






Well, this is it. Arrivederci, my friends. A huge thank you to all of you that have supported me. My mom will continue to update this blog, so check back here if you're interested in my adventures :)
For your enjoyment, I have posted below my farewell talk that  I gave and also a link to an interview I did with Shaun Roundy. God be with you until we meet again! Hurrah for Israel!!

Buon giorno, il mio fratelli e il mio sorelli. Oggi è molto eccitante. La mia camicia è bianca e nera. Mio padre non ha capelli.
Goodmorning, brothers and sisters.Today is a very exciting day! My shirt is black and white. And my dad has no hair.
Sorry dad. You had that one coming.Hopefully, my Italian will improve in the MTC. I still don’t know the word for “bald”. Anyways…
I am truly honoured to be speaking to you today. And I’d like to thank you all for the support and love and influence you’ve given me to help me here. I have waited a very long time for this day, and I can’t believe it’s finally here. You’d think I would’ve had time to come up with a better opening joke but….
Go figure.
Well, I have been asked to speak on proclaiming the Gospel throughout the world, the Hastening of the work to all the ends of the earth. And as I mulled this over, I kept thinking, people are the same wherever you go. Sure, the culture and language may be different, but people are just people and the Gospel can help everyone. It doesn’t matter what language you say it in, the Gospel is true wherever you go. And as I thought about this, I realized that the opportunities for missionary work are abounding. The awareness of this church is ever- increasing. The floodgates are opening!! But ultimately, it is up to us to act on our faith, be bold with our testimony and be brave enough to share what we know. We must have the courage and desire to proclaim the Gospel throughout the ends of the earth. Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.It all comes down to charity.
So what is Charity? Charity is the pure love of Christ. I would take that a step further and say that Charity is a heavenly relationship between us and God our Father, made possible by applying the Atonement of Jesus Christ in our lives. The knowledge of that we have a Father in Heaven, who loves us unconditionally and has provided a way that we can return back to him through the Atonement of His Son, our Brother, Jesus Christ, through which every stain of sin can be lifted, every broken heart can be cleansed and we can be strengthened. I know of no higher form of love than this.
And once a person experiences that love, they start to see and love others like God does.
In 1 Nephi chapter 8, Lehi has a dream of the Tree of Life. He journeys to this tree, and tastes of it’s wonderful fruit. Later in chapter 11, we learn that the fruit symbolizes the love of God. Lehi has literally tasted of the love of God and in chapter eight verse twelve, he says, “And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy; wherefore, I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit.”
Because Lehi was filled with the Love of God, a natural result was that he automatically began to be concerned for others, their happiness and their salvation. He was beginning to develop charity. He immediately wanted to share that fruit, God’s love, with his family.

I would also submit that charity is reciprocal as well. For as you learn to love someone else wholeheartedly, with total acceptance and unconditional love, you begin to taste of God’s love for that person, and also, God’s love for you. As Victor Hugo puts it,
“To love or have loved, that is enough. Ask nothing further. There is no other pearl to be found in the dark folds of life. To love another person is to see the face of God.” 


So what does this have to do with missionary work? Well, the power of caring for people and its connection to missionary success is illustrated in the story of Ammon and King Lamoni’s father.  One of the best missionaries in the Book of Mormon is Ammon. You might recall that when he was taken, bound, and brought before King Lamoni, he did not say, “I’m a missionary, and I’ve been sent here to tell you everything you’re doing wrong.” No, he simply says in Alma 17 verse 25, “I will be they servant.” Likewise, the missionary anthem is Called to Serve, not called to prove or called to argue. Our mission is a mission to bless the world. To share the fruit with our family. In Alma chapter 20 verse 26 when King Lamoni’s father “sees the great love that Ammon has for his son Lamoni, he is astonished exceedingly”. It was Ammon’s love, not Ammon’s gospel knowledge, that touched the old king’s heart and made him want to know more. He later demands in chapter 22 verse 3, “I insist that ye shall administer unto me.”. Wouldn’t that be nice? To have people insist that you come and teach them? But I promise that will happen. People will be more curious about your message when they see how you serve them in their community. Or as a popular phrase goes… people don’t care how much you know, until they know how much you care. People will be more receptive to your message if they can see the love of Christ through you. As you are an example of Christ, they will want to know Him too.

Now what does this have to do with you specifically as member missionaries? I would like to submit to you, that the best way you can be a missionary right NOW, the best way you can show charity and serve those around you right NOW, is by being a friend.
One of the best examples to me of true, unwavering, unconditional, charitable friendship is a hobbit by the name of SamwiseGamgee. When his best friend, Frodo is asked to take a long and hard journey, bearing a tremendous burden on his shoulders, Sam is with him every step of the way. On the steep slope of Mount Doom, nearing the end of their trial, when Frodo has lost all strength and hope, Sam gloriously rises to the occasion.
“Sam looked at him and wept in his heart, but no tears came to his dry and stinging eyes. ‘I said I’d carry him if it broke my back, and I will! Come, Mr. Frodo! I can’t carry it for you, but I can carry you and it as well. So up you get! Come on, Mr. Frodo. Sam will give you a ride. Just tell him where to go, and he’ll go.”

Mosiah 18: verse 8 and 9 says….
“and now as ye are desirous to come into the fold of god, and to be called His people and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light; yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort…”
We must be willing to serve others as Christ would. We must try to see them as He does.


And of course, we must always remember that people are PEOPLE. And should be treated like people, not as a project.


Now is the time to catch the wave of Member missionary work. Now is the time to share the fruit of God’s love with our lost brothers and sisters.
I would urge you to never underestimate the importance of member missionary work. You do not have to wear a nametag to be a great missionary. You just need to be a friend.
I’m going to take a moment to embarrass someone here today. When I was eight years old, my family moved here to Utah. I didn’t know anybody and was nervous for school to start because I didn’t have any friends and I was a bit shy… I know, me. Shy. My parents were baptized into the Mormon church, but hadn’t been to church for a number of years and weren’t particularly interested in it. One day I was invited by a sweet sister in the ward, Sister Nancy Buttars, to an Achievement day activity. After whining and bawling, my parents finally let me go. Persistence pays off, kids. Through her friendship, and the friendship of many other people placed in my family’s path, I was able to be baptized by my dad. And about two years later, we were sealed as a family in the Logan Temple. All because one beautiful sister reached out to a lonely eight year old.
Brothers and sisters, my life was changed by member missionary work. Through the simple yet powerful act of friendship and love.
In the words of J.R.R. Tolkien…

“The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places.
But still there is much that is fair. And though in all lands, love is now
mingled with grief, it still grows, perhaps, the greater.” 


Brothers and Sisters, it’s time to show the world what you’ve got. It’s okay to feel inadequate. But just know that you are not worthless. In the words of my favourite Doctor, “900 years of time and space, and I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”.
Now, perhaps you’d think me more credible if I too, was 900 years old, but I agree with this statement. You are all important. You are all powerful in your own way.
It is our choices… that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Brothers and Sisters, choose to be a missionary. Choose to show charity to those around you. Simply choose to be a friend.
It’s okay to feel inadequate. Believe me, it’s a familiar feeling to me.
And, in the words of James T. Kirk,
I have no idea what I'm supposed to do! I only know what I CAN do!
Brothers and Sisters, someday someone will need to know what you know. So be prepared for it. You know enough. You are enough. Now go work some magic.

To close, I’d like to leave one of my favourite poems with you….

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with weary feet,
Until it joins some larger way,
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

Brothers and Sisters, like this poem says, the road is leading us onward. And we must pursue it now. Until our feet are weary. For it is for a great cause.

I’d like to leave you with one more quote by Albus Dumbledore, which has been influential in my life.

Dark and dangerous times lie ahead. Soon, we must all face the choice of what is right, and what is easy.

Things that are worth fighting for are never easy. But do not ever dwell on your feelings of discouragement, for:

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

This Gospel is the light in my life.

Si dispone di un Padre nel cielo. Egli viama molto.
Gesù Cristo ha espiato per i tuoi peccati. Si può essere pulitose si togliela giustizia.
You have a father in Heaven. He loves you very much.
Jesus Christ atoned for your sins. You can be clean if you chase after righteousness.

Come, I invite you to taste the love of God, to eat the fruit of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and His restored Gospel in your life. It is rich. It is good. It is pure. It brings joy. It truly is the best. I know, because I have tasted it myself.
I testify to you that I know that I have a Father in Heaven, who knows my name. I testify to you that I know that He loves me despite my many flaws. I also know that He loves you unconditionally. And He not only knows your name, but knows you individually. He knows the way your nose wrinkles when you laugh. He knows the way your mouth waters when you smell a lemon. He knows how it aches to lose someone who is close to you. He knows the bitter sting of betrayal. And He knows how it feels to be lonely.
I testify to you that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, not only can you be cleansed from the stain of your sins, but you can overcome your weaknesses and all those bitter, angry, depressing emotions. He will strengthen you. And comfort you. and you will feel overwhelmed with His love.
“The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than He?”
He has been there. Literally. Wherever you are in your life right now, He’s been there. And He suffered alone, so you don’t have to.
So come unto Him, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and He will give thee rest. Matt 11:28
He will never desert you. He will never forget you.

Brothers and Sisters, let us share this love with our family. I leave these things with you nel nome di Gesù Cristo, Amen.


Mischief Managed.
_Sorella Kynia

You Might Also Like

0 comments