Be of Good Cheer

7.6.12


Ello friends! Let’s see what I’ve been up to…

So, as many of you know, I am a lifeguard at Typhoon Lagoon. Unfortunately, it’s miserable. The job is stressful, I work too many hours (52 hours last week) in the hot, Floridian sun, and I lived in a constant state of overwhelmed panic. Also, my 8 dollar mandatory pair of Walmart- Crocs eat my feet.

So, naturally, in an attempt to cheer myself up, I ordered a “Disney approved” pair of Chacos to wear everyday instead of those horrid Crocs.
On Friday, my brand new beautiful black Chacos came in the mail.

I was SO excited to wear them to work! So, early Saturday morning I strapped them on and tromped off to work.
Six hours later, they were stolen.
I had removed them as per the lifeguard “rules” for this particular station and had tucked them away in a remote place where I thought only I could access. I walked around the corner and back, but had a feeling that I should check on my shoes. And they were gone.
That fast.
Yes, I took action after that and notified everyone I could notify, but to no avail. My Chacos are officially gone.

Now, as you can imagine, I was in a foul mood for the rest of the day. On top of hating my job, I now hated the people that I was guarding. Because they stole my shoes.
Two hours later as we closed up the waterpark, I was picking up trash (barefoot of course) with one of my new friends; we’ll call him “Smiley”. Have you ever met someone who radiates light? Those people that have such a love for life that the positive energy practically beams right off their face? And you want to be with them every minute of the day because they're so gosh darn happy? Yeah, he’s one of those people.
After telling him about my day and how unhappy I was, he shared with me his philosophy on life.
Which was this:
1.     Empty your mind of everything that makes you unhappy.
2.     Move 7 states away from everyone who has ever pissed you off.
3.     Whenever you see someone being mean to someone else, do something of equal value of niceness to someone else. For example, if you see someone cut someone off, and another person’s trying to merge into your lane to turn, you should let them.
 
“Good things happen to good people. And if it hasn’t yet, you’re long overdue”.
And I was speechless.
Now, I could continue to hate the entire scumbag human race for stealing my Chacos, or I could learn a lesson from this whole ordeal, and learn from my friend’s philosophy and continue to be happy.
Here’s the truth, friends. People are scumbags. People are selfish. People will always do what’s best for themselves. And sometimes, there’s absolutely nothing you can do about it, except “be happy”.
No matter what happens to you, or what other people do or say to you, be happy.
Because your happiness is more important than putting up with something that makes you unhappy.

Don’t be afraid to be assertive in doing what’s best for you. Sometimes you just have to say “my happiness is more important than this”, and do something to fix it.

If you don’t love what you do, don’t do it.

Yes, this newfound wisdom came from my Dad. Thanks, Buddy. 

But seriously friends, if you’re unhappy, change something. “Identify the problem and… FIXIT!!!” (If you got that reference, I love you.)

Because there’s no reason for you to be unhappy. This is your life, you have a right to be happy. Plain and simple.

For me, my happiness is drawn from two places, my beautiful family and my knowledge of the Gospel. I know that I have a loving Heavenly Father and the best Big Brother who know me, love me, and are there for me no matter what.

John 16:33—“These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”

Remember, no storm lasts forever. Just long enough to cloud your view and make you forget what it's like to see the sun. You have to learn that you can find peace in confusion, and hope in despair, and that God is still there, even in the ruins. Don’t give up, friends. No matter where you are in life, you can be happy.

You are beautiful. You are treasured. You are His.

So be of good cheer.

Mischief Managed.

_Kynia

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. ah Kynia -you smart girl. Great post. True wisdom.
    You are smart, beautiful and treasured!
    You are turning into one of those people of light.
    Love you!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete