"...You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are".

28.5.11

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”
Ah, Alice and Wonderland.
On one of my trips across the internet, I stumbled upon a brilliant article, which you can read here.
For those of you who feel that you’ve “lost your muchness”, this article is for you.
The article is entitled "Wonderland's Wisdom: Five Life Lessons from Alice's Adventure". It is a bit lengthy, so if you’re short on time, I’ve highlighted some of the points and phrases that I love.
[The following words are quoted from the article, and are not mine. I have included a conclusion at the end in brackets, which is mine. Thank you, and read on!]

#1
Decide where you want to be going.
"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to go," said the Cat.
"I don't much care where--" said Alice.
"Then it doesn't much matter which way you go," said the Cat.
"--so long as I get somewhere," Alice added as an explanation.
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."

As the Cat says, if you don't know exactly where you want to go, you could end up just about anywhere. Figure out what your path is and get on it! And remember: No one but you can point you in the direction or path that is right for you.

#2
Stop doing things that get you nowhere.

"It takes all the running you can do,
to keep in the same place."
The Red Queen

What do you do that keeps you in the same place? Do you want your life to change but you keep doing the same things over and over again? Sometimes -- okay, often -- it feels easier to keep doing what you've been doing because it's comfortable. Think about how much time and effort and mental energy that takes just to stay where you are, to keep doing what you're doing. It seems like it would be hard to leave or change, but, really, it's harder to stay the same. Remember what the Queen said and remember this: don't ever, ever settle for less than what you deserve in life.

#3
Believe in what seems impossible.
"There's no use in trying," Alice said, "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen.
"When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day.
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

How many of us are like Alice, so certain that something is impossible that we don't even give it a try? People who succeed in life do so because they try and because they have a good attitude. They make an effort. They do, rather than just thinking about doing. I have to believe that things that might seem impossible are possible. No matter what your dreams are, no matter what you envision for your life, you can make it happen. It won't always come easily, but you have to believe.

#4
Figure out who you are.
"Dear, dear! How queer everything is today! And yesterday things went on just as usual.
I wonder if I've changed in the night? Let me think...
Was I the same when I got up this morning?
I almost think I can remember feeling a little different.
But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?'
Ah, that's the great puzzle!"
Alice

Who are you? Ah, the great and mind-boggling question. Do you really know who you are? Your life will always be changing and new experiences will happen to you all the time. Like Alice, you might find your world turned upside down one day. As unsettling as life can sometimes be, if you know who you are, you have a foundation on which to always rest. You can be certain in one thing: yourself. Knowing who you are will keep you sane and help you to grapple with whatever curve balls life throws at you.

#5
Communicate carefully with others.
"You should say what you mean," the March Hare went on.
"I do," Alice hastily replied. "At least I mean what I say.
That's the same thing you know."

Is saying what you mean and meaning what you say the same thing? I'm pretty sure it's not. You should think about this: Do you really say what you mean? Do you really mean what you say? When you tell someone something, mean it. Don't just speak to speak.

Conclusion
Pay attention. There's a lot out there that can teach us if we just take the time to be aware of it. This weekend take some time to think about your favorite book or film or even quote. Why does that mean so much to you? What about that book/film/etc. do you really like? You would be surprised how much you can learn about yourself when you take the time.

[Wow. It’s articles and authors like this that remind me there is still good in the world. I extend her challenge to all of you…. “This weekend take some time to think about your favorite book or film or even quote. Why does that mean so much to you? What about that book/film/etc. do you really like?” Truly think this over, and I promise you will be surprised at how much you learn about yourself.
I’ll end with an interesting side note: As I re-read this article, I couldn’t help but think of my religion. As I pondered every point above, I realized that it would be tremendously difficult for me to answer all of the questions without the Gospel. We are truly and infinitely blessed for the knowledge of who we are and what we’re here for. Press on, my friends, and remember who you are.]

Mischief Managed.

_Kynia

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I LOVE it, LOVE it Love IT!!! This is probably the movie I would pick and since the work has been done for me already, I can just learn from it. :) I love the messages and the parallel to our religion. And I have always loved the message, "don't ever, ever settle for less than what you deserve in life."

    ReplyDelete